Maxey Family Cemetery

     The Maxey Family Cemetery was surveyed on July 20, 1996 by Claude Ridings and Sharon Lee Nowery. The cemetery is located 1.1 miles south of Three Bridge road on the right side of Red Lane.

      In the old St. Luke’s Church (Protestant Episcopal), Powhatan Co., VA Records 1842-1936, presented to the Virginia Historical Society by the Vestry of St. Luke’s Episcopal Church, 12 December 1990, this cemetery is referred to as the “Old Sledd Place” and records the burial of Sarah L. Maxey as occurring on November 7, 1888.

     The cemetery is overgrown with brush, but is enclosed in a wrought iron fence. In addition to the recorded tombstones listed below, there are obviously unmarked graves and graves with only stones.

 

Burial Listing
 
Name
Birth Date
Death Date
Remarks
  Maxey, J.D.
10/14/1833
10/17/1881
age 48 years & 3 days
  Maxey, Jas. E.
10//1855
1/29/1925
h/o Mary E. Maxey
  Maxey, Mary Evelyn
3/3/1856
7/28/1915
w/o Jas. E. Maxey
  Maxey, Mary Maud
6/17/1869
7/13/1870
d/o J.D. & Sarah Maxey
  Maxey, Sarah L.
8/16/1831
11/5/1888
w/o J.D. Maxey
Return to Cemetery Index

@ 2007 Powhatan County Historical Society. All rights reserved.