Obituary

Douglas Lester Darden

Hollywood Baptist Church Cemetery


        Douglas Lester Darden was born in Green County, N.C. on June 6, 1936 to the late Will and Lucy Darden. He slipped away on September 5, 2007 at about 10:00pm at St. Francis Hospital in Midlothian, VA. Douglas received his formal education in La Grange, N.C. and was raised in a religious home.

        In the 50's Douglas moved to Richmond, VA and after working several jobs he then started his business at 1315 Jeff Davis Hwy known as Darden's Rental. He held the business for thirty years before retiring in 2004.

        On September 29, 1995 Douglas was united in matrimony to Helen Jackson. They shared twelve beautiful years together. Turk and Duck as he was so fondly called had a wonderful personality and was liked by all. He will be missed.

        To cherish fond memories he leaves a devoted wife Helen Jackson-Darden, four sons Douglas Jr., James Jackson (Young), Eric Jackson, and Rodney Jackson (Quintine), four daughters Darlene Darden, Deborah Johnson, Marcia Wilkinson (Alvin), and Gail Reynolds; a number of grandchildren, 4 great grandchildren, one extra terrific grandson "ET" Jimmie Darden; one brother Melvin Darden, two sisters Lucy Croone and Bessie Foreman, three sisters-in-law, two brothers-in-law, a host of nieces, nephews and relatives and friends. Special friends Howard Hawkins and John Craft.






OLD MEMORIES


There are those special memories we cherish through the years.
The most of them are happy ones and a few are touched by tears.
They all become more beautiful the older now they grow, and
With their age they take their place as days of long ago.
They are pictures of a past for which we sometime yearn.
But which we know so well is gone and which cannot return.
They have no market value in our commerce of today.
They are not even anything that we can give away.
And yet those memories can play a most important part,
As they inspire or console or else will help the heart.

The Family




reprinted by permission
@ 2008 Powhatan County Historical Society. All rights reserved